Checking Interest… Want A Modified SUP-2400 Microwave Downconverter?

The store is now live, get your Microwave Downconverter here: https://RXTXDX.com

Update: August 9th, 2017 – Good news for international shipping (or better than the alternative). Looks like I can ship to most of the world for around $13.50 – $15.00 USD. While that's not a spectacular price, it's significant savings over Priority mail ($35-$80), or using DHL or others.

UPDATE: August 8, 2017 –
I've received quite a bit of feedback and it looks like I'll be moving ahead with this project effective immediately. I have some stock on hand to get started with and more on the way now.

I'll have an ordering page and additional details up later this week. To start off orders will be limited to North America.

• The price for each unit will be $25.00.
  • Flat Rate Domestic Shipping Via USPS Priority mail is between $6.45 – $7.15
  • A total of approx $32.15 shipped

If you don't care about a tracking number or getting your item fast I could use First Class mail and you may save a few dollars on shipping.

Combine shipping and save. When using USPS Priority Mail: If you order two or more units to the same address you only pay shipping for the first unit. If using first class mail then you pay actual shipping.

* International shipping is going to be a real challenge to start out here, as postage rates range from $18 to $45 USD and even more to some places. I'm trying to find more affordable shipping options for the folks overseas, please be patient.

Hey All,

I've had some on and off interest from folks asking to provide modified SUP-2400 downconverters for their RTLSDR setup, and I've been happy to do that when and where I can.

I've just come upon a decent supply of unmodified devices and am considering opening shop to offer them modified and ready for use to the community. However I'm unsure of whether there would be enough interest to make it worth my time and then where to set the final price. I enjoy doing this type of work but obviously I can't do it for free.

I'm not a Chinese mass production facility that can crank out 5000 or even 50 a day for pennies on the dollar. Each device would be hand modified, direct external power input added (for using a wallwart or battery power), and fully tested. To carefully apply the mod and test each unit it would take between 30 minutes and an hour per unit. So obviously I can't do all that for free, but I don't want to charge $50 or more a pop either. Also, I'm thinking of adding SMA input and output along side the F connectors. That would add time and costs too, but I can do it at request.

I'm thinking somewhere in the $20-$35 dollar range to keep it fair to both me and you. BUT I'm open to input, and that is what this post is about. I'm not using this post to sell them today, I'm just seeing if there is interest. Let me know if you are interested in one and what you would be willing to pay for a wired and tested unit ready for external power and use in the comments below, via email, or PM me on reddit.

Obviously I could only supply a limited amount per day, so that means if there is a lot of interest there may be a waiting list…

UPDATE: If this takes off, and it looks like it just might, then the following may apply – For international buyers in the European market and other locations as well, I'm looking for a partner in those locations I can work something out with. What I'm considering is packaging several orders in a single large box, each already packaged and ready for shipment to that market. Ready to go Shipping labels & Postage fees would be supplied, as well as a little for your troubles, and have the individual packages shipped from there. I'm going to try making this as uncomplicated as possible. Any ideas?

73, Chris

About the Author

kd0cq
Chris - KD0CQ (formerly KB0TLW) has held an amateur (ham) radio license since 1994 and is stubbornly grasping onto his Advanced class operator status. His professional experience includes Network and Systems Administrator, Network Security, and Electronics Engineer. Sometimes even a little bit of web development. mail: chris at kd0cq dot com

51 Comments on "Checking Interest… Want A Modified SUP-2400 Microwave Downconverter?"

1. Hi Chris,

I am for sure interested to buy one modified SUP-2400 from you if you will start selling them.

73,s from the Netherlands PD0SBC

2. Sergi Sarabia | August 6, 2017 at 10:13 am | Reply

Very praiseworthy Chris, a great idea, but you will have to look for an economic shipping service for Europe. I take the opportunity to ask you what technical difference there is between Rev2 and Rev3? Can you show pictures?

73, from Spain EA7SER

3. Alan Lawrence | August 7, 2017 at 1:56 am | Reply

..most definitely interested

4. Interested a lot, however shipping fees to EU and potential hassle with the customs office would be a problem for me 🙁

5. Very interested too …

6. I would buy one.

7. Marco DE8MSH | August 7, 2017 at 5:47 am | Reply

I’m interested to get one. But same problem as above mentioned. P&P and tax cost sending it to germany.

8. Wayne VE3EFJ | August 7, 2017 at 6:46 am | Reply

Definite interest in the downconverter.

9. Also interested, near Chicago.

10. Would definitely want one if it’s “plug and play”

11. Bernd Kroener | August 7, 2017 at 7:51 am | Reply

I am interested to buy one.

12. Hi Chris,

I would be interested but shipping to Australia would be steep. Alternatively are you willing to part with the mod/testing details for the hands-on guys?

13. Hi Chris,

Never mind my last post, I see you already have released the details, thanks.

14. I am interested for modified Downconverter. Let me know, please

15. Damon Schaefer | August 7, 2017 at 8:15 am | Reply

I will buy 1 of them right now. I have other friends who do cellular and 2.4GHz stuff that would also like them. They are very handy, especially at a ‘sub 30 dollar’ price range.
    -K9CQB

16. I am definitely interested by athe downconverter. I’ll stay tuned. Paypal would be fine (or a check if there is a retailer here in France).

17. Neil A Benson | August 7, 2017 at 9:22 am | Reply

Will buy @ 25-30$

18. I’m a definite “maybe” as I noted in my post on rtl-sdr.com (AD5NL).

I do think this idea has value; I already have an SUP-2400 but just haven’t made time to do the mod myself.

I would upgrade from a “maybe” to a “yes” if I try doing the mod and I break stuff, which seems possible given the SMT components on the board.

19. I am interested. 73s, Stan

20. I’m interested, and I think your suggested price is more than reasonable. 73’s N6YWU

21. Mario Kassimatis | August 7, 2017 at 11:19 am | Reply

Very interested since i have zero soldering skills. Actually let im ready to buy now. 🙂 Please keep us posted.

22. Oh yeah !

23. I’m interested as well

24. Brian Coupe G4RHZ | August 7, 2017 at 1:27 pm | Reply

Interested if postage costs are reasonable

25. SInce the SUP itself cost more than 5$ in Europe when I checked, I’m intered in one, however it will depend on the total price including shipping. If the total cost including shipping would be above the equivillent of ~40 € additional custom tax and the trouble of driving to a custom station to pay and pick it up will make it to unattractive.
    PS.: what is the osc resonator and frequency used in the SUP, and have you tried to use it as LO for other circuits?

26. William Nordhurst | August 7, 2017 at 6:35 pm | Reply

i’d buy a couple

27. I am interested in at least 4 also and I am located in Barbados

28. HI,i would buy 2 of them at least,
    The Netherlands, Europe

29. I’d be interested in 2 of them too!
    Italy, Europe

30. I am interested in buying one. How much would shipping to Sydney, Australia cost?
    I work in Sydney CBD and would be willing to combine shipping with someone local.

31. I am interested in one in $20-$35 range. QTH near Chicago. 73’s, KA9YTO

32. If you look for a partner in EU to distribute them you have to find him in a country where shipping costs are low. You should give weight and size so everybody could check how much it would cost to send one unit to other EU countries. In any case you have to consider that sending many of them to your partner will involve customs clearance costs; this would not happen if shipping only one unit with low price declared.

33. Chris,

KG4IPO here, recently modified a SUP-2400 and set up with bias TEE and trying to use HDSDR to look at some ZigBee activity close in my area, within 20-30 feet.

Trying to find the right shift for my LO using HDSDR.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated…

Jeff

• Hey Jeff, The LO is 2,400,000,000 (2.4GHz). You would enter it as a negative number in SDR# (Shift) and I believe in HDSDR too (haven’t used HDSDR in a while): -2400000000

34. Marco Cochet | August 8, 2017 at 9:21 am | Reply

I’m interested

35. I am interested if the postage isn’t too bad. In US.

36. I’am interested too, from France

37. I am a fan of rtl-sdr and converters. Count me in too.
    WD4EXV

38. Hello,
    good news, i’am very interested, from France (Europa)
    Yves

39. Hi,

Very interested! I live in Europe and shipping numbers are just fine.

Cheers!

40. Sergi Sarabia | August 13, 2017 at 5:43 am | Reply

KD0CQ:
    Hey All,
    I’ve received quite a bit of feedback and it looks like I’ll be moving ahead with this project effective immediately.
    I have some stock on hand to get started with and more on the way now.

I’ll have an ordering page up later this week. To start off orders will be limited to North America.

International shipping is going to be a real challenge to start out, as postage rates range from $18 to $45 USD and even more to some places. I’m trying to find more affordable shipping options for the folks overseas, so please be patient.

A short International shipping update. Looks like international shipping will range from $13 – $20 depending on location. Much better than initially anticipated.

41. Ditto, Western Australia

42. I just bought 2 of these on you website (https://rxtxdx.com/). I really appreciate you taking the initiative on this. This gives the RTL-SDR community a much cheaper way of expanding their capabilities, making higher frequencies accessible at such a low price. Now, like the HF upconverters, I hope RTL tinkerers will start creating cool decoders/tools/applications for signals that are higher in frequency. Well done, sir!!!
    – K9CQB

43. How are the PDF’s and video coming along?

44. Franz van Velzen | September 20, 2017 at 4:46 am | Reply

I would be interested to purchase one, provided that int’l shipping isn’t too bad. Max some 50 USD incl Shipping would be appropriate for me.
    TNX – Franz – OE3FVU